An unusual prototype. PDF version
This is a new kit recently released (2007) by Jim so I was happy when a customer asked me to build one. It comes in the usual flat pack along with excellent instructions, drawings, pictures, exploded diagrams and historical details. I started by pressing out all the rivet and bolt heads, adding detail parts to the sides, ends and sole bars while they were "in the flat" and then bending the sides, sole bars and corner plates as shewn here.
A standard procedure when dealing with two ends and sides is to fit one end to one side each so that one has a pair, check for square and then join the two halves together as here. All the parts fit very well so that it is necessary to file all the cusps off. Back to Top
All the parts are etched to tight tolerances and so the sole bars fit in perfectly.The next job was to fit the lashing rings. These are tiny etches that fit into etched holes in the sole bar and on the ends. Very neat indeed and beats making up rings from wire and fitting them with split pins.
This kit comes with the option of sprung wheels and provides a neat method of springing behind the W irons using piano wire. Naturally, I decided to try it out. Here are the springing units in various stages of completion.
I have changed things a little by using lighter gauge piano wire since I considered that the wire supplied to be too stiff. However, my choice will be tested when the wagon is complete.
The remainder of the wagon went together with remarkable ease, so much so that I forgot to take any pictures but Jim's instructions are excellent.
The suspension needed more weight to get the wagon to ride properly so two lumps of lead were Araldited inside. Not a difficult kit for someone with a little experience but not recommended for a beginner.
The completed wagon in my private siding awaiting a trip to Ian's paint shop.