7mm:1ft - 0 Gauge Railway Modelling.

S&D Models, Highbridge Works, P O Box 101, BURNHAM-ON-SEA, TA9 4WA
E-mail: enquiries@sanddmodels.co.ukhttp://www.sanddmodels.co.uk/
I rate this kit as: 0-0-0

An unusual build for me.


This is being built for my friend and colleague Ian Hopkins to be the station pilot on his new layout, Pelham Street.  The kit was bought in the early nineties but was originally launched in 1988.  It is the only locomotive kit produced by the manufacturer to date and took three years research before any start was made on masters.


I am not, as many of readers will be aware, a fan of white metal but this kit is a little different in that it appears to have been well designed and much of it bolts together.  However, since it is such a diminutive engine, the white metal body and cast iron wheels will give it enough inertia to pull a reasonable load, not that Ian’s carriages are heavy, all being scratch built in plasticard but long rakes of four and six wheelers have a lot of wheels to turn and so, much rolling resistance.


So that is in the box?

in the box 1


These are the parts for the chassis and it is all intended to be bolted together.  The wheels are from Walsall Model Industries and had been insulated on one side by the original purchaser, Doug Thomas.


The rest of the parts are white metal but the quality of the masters and of the casting appears to be of a high standard.  I shall try to use all the parts supplied and follow the designer’s instructions closely.  The instructions run to many pages and include some prototype information, several pages of drawings together with clear, detailed instructions on the order in which to build the thing.  It is clear that the designer built his own kit.

In box 2


I began with the chassis, for which there are separate instructions and drawings.  The frames are chemically milled in 1mm thick nickel silver but shew no sign of a cusp.  It is necessary to file a number of square corners in various places in order that the body will fit properly on top of the frames and the bearings will move easily in the hornguides.  The instructions are clear on what is required and the compensation system is both neat and effective, requiring little fettling to get it to work correctly.  Here are the frames ready for assembly having had as much work done in the flat as possible.

 Frames 1

The dummy rocking beam was glued in place rather than rely solely on the bolt fixing.  Most of the work involved is in squaring up corners and fitting the bearings and compensation beams; once that is done assembly is a breeze as the following two pictures shew, it all simply bolts together and it ran away first time on a minimal slope on the bench.  The next stage should be fitting the rods and pick-ups for testing but, somewhere in a black hole in my workshop resides one of the ready made parts for the rods so, until the replacements arrive I moved on to the body.

 Chassis 3

 Chassis 2


The footplate required a good deal of extraneous metal removing from the underside as you can see in this picture where I have completed the removal on one side. White metal is death to files but the metal can be pared away with suitable tools ground up from old needle files and then scraped smooth before finishing off with a fibre glass brush.

Footplate 1


 Having got thus far the next job is to drill out a number of holes in various sizes in the footplate halves in addition to those already present in the casting process.  Here are the two parts cleaned up and ready for the next stage with the slot in buffer beam having been tried for fit too.

 Footplate 1

The sand box and tool box were drilled and tapped 10BA, tried for fit on the footplate and put safely away until required later.  Care is needed in drilling and tapping since whitmetal is soft it is easy to create holes that will not take a bolt.










To be continued