7mm:1ft - 0 Gauge Railway Modelling.

Manufactured by: Walsall Model Industries,  Unit 16/17 Short Acre Street, WALSALL, WS28HW.  Tel: 01922 633718.  E-mail: info@walsallmodelinsudtries.co.uk  Website: https://www.walsallmodelindustries.co.uk/index.php/home-home/?k=2108:1:
I rate this kit as: 5-3-4

This is a "Brown" Vehicle rated to travel in Passenger Trains.    PDF version

finished and ready for the customer's paint shopAs usual, this WEP kit arrives as a flat pack, sheets of etch, a bag of castings and bits and the usual comprehensive instructions.  As usual, I binned the white metal buffers, steam and vacuum pipes.  (The range has since been taken over by Walsall Models.)


This kit, like so many, I found best constructed by assembling as many sub-assemblies as possible.  The six doors (3 per side) and the ends are constructed of 10 separate parts and the intervening panels of 6 parts.


the panel detail and fixingdoor detaila nd fixingThe cross bracing and stanchions were fitted by twisting the locating tabs from the back of the part.  This holds them securely and ensures that no solder creeps into the plank joints.  These two pictures illustrate how it works.


 The next picture shews all the parts for the sides ready for construction; all the panels ready for assemplywhile some of the parts are small, they all fit well.   The individual segments were then fitted together using the twisted tab method and the bases, which fold up to form an offset, soldered to the sole bar.

strengthened sides ready for assemblybody now assembledNot the easiest job but with a few clamps (a lá hair grips) it is possible to get the sole bar soldered in place.  I strengthened it all with some off-cuts of steel rail soldered across the backs of the inside fixed panels.  The extension is to solder to the inside of the ends when the two sides are fitted together.     Back to top


I also soldered some thick scrap brass joining the inner panels to prevent the body sides bowing out.


the roof ready for fitting ventilatorsThe roof comes as a piece of flat sheet but the instructions have 7mm scale drawing included so marking out for ventilators and rains strips is easy.  The holes were drilled prior to rolling and the rain strips added once rolled.


There are no lamp tops to fit here since I am building for my client a later, modified, version with electric lighting.  One thing to watch for is the roof not quite taking up its proper shape along its whole length.  I got round it by making a former to the profile of the end and soldering that across the centre of the roof.


This meant that the roof only needed soldering to the body at the ends.

floor with brake gear fittedunderframe detailThe under frame is relatively simple with no brake gear trapping the wheels in so I modified the fixed set to be bolted in place.

wheels units strengthenedwheel sets ready for assemblyThe wheel sets, I think, benefit from strengthening.  I soldered some 1mm square rod into the fold and another piece to the upright to give added stiffness.  The axles needed two 5BA washers behind each wheel to prevent the vehicle hunting when in motion.


The final assembly was simple enough but the steps are very delicate so some care will be needed when the vehicle is underframe details now fitted to the bodyin use.

This picture gives a good view of how the whole thing goes together.  A tad fiddly at times but nothing with which that mythical creature, the average modeller, could not cope.

end detailSince this is a later, modified build, it components that go to make up the whole vanrequires fittings for electric lighting.  The couplings, steam and vacuum pipes are from CPL and the buffers from Sanspariel from a batch I had cast some years ago.


Here are all the components ready for the final assembly after painting in works grey.     Back to top

completeThe client is to paint it himself so here it is in works grey in my private siding awaiting delivery.


An interesting kit and well up the standard one has come to expect of Bill Parker.

Back to top